Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

DIS loses case against Sebina brothers

DIS BOSS: Magosi

Directorate of Intelligence and Security Services (DISS) have suffered another humiliating blow, after Extension 2 Magistrates court dismissed their case against brothers, Kegone and Tshepo Sebina.

On Friday morning the court ordered that the DIS should, with immediate effect, return all property and documents they seized from the brothers and set aside the warrant of search and seizure it had issued last year.

The Sebina brothers; Kegone and Tshepho Sebina had approached court seeking to overturn a search and seizure warrant obtained by the DIS back in February 2019.

About a year ago, The Director General of the DISS- Peter Magosi, made a controversial submission in court alleging that the brothers had illegal dealings with former DISS boss, Isaac Kgosi.

Magosi had further told the court that they were investigating a security threat incident after Kgosi allegedly threatened to topple government.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The court, following Magosi’s oral submissions, then issued a search and seizure warrant against Tshepho Tile Products (TTP), Estate Construction and Estate Property being companies owned by the Sebina brothers.

Extension 2 Magistrate Queen Moanga delivered the ruling on behalf of the substantive magistrate Batho Kgerethwa.

Moanga said that the DISS had failed to provide the court with a progress update on their case. “The court has been kept in the dark about the progress of the case a year later. There is no information about how the documents seized will assist the investigation, all the court has been told is that investigations are ongoing,” read the judgment.

“What is the link to the security threat? The applicants have stipulated the inconvenience they have suffered but there is still no inventory provided to the court. Why is the DISS concealing information from the court,” the court asked.

The magistrate further admonished the DISS saying they abused the court order. “The warrant did not say the DIS should go to the bank accounts owned by the applicants.”

The Sebina brothers have been temporarily absolved of any link to Kgosi.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

@sharonmathala
sharonm@thevoicebw.com

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You May Also Like

Business

Choppies directors score major victory against PwC in multimillion Pula suit

News

Ten Moeding College students charged for the murder of a fellow student were this morning (Friday) granted bail by a Lobatse Magistrates court. 18-year-old...

News

The Ministry of Health and Wellness wishes to inform members of the public that it is currently investigating certain mutations of the SARS COV-2...

News

The last witness in the BDF Namibian killings inquest took the stand in Kasane this morning. Moments after witness number 35 gave his testimony,...

News

WATCH: Former President talks to The Voice in a virtual interview about his visit to South Africa, his differences with President Masisi and the...

News

WATCH: A Broadhurst Magistrates court yesterday further remanded in custody, four men linked to the G4S Security P2 million heist which occurred at Turn...

Advertisement

Copyright © TheVoiceBW. (Since1993) made with ❤️ in Botswana.