Connect with us

News

Toddler tragically dies in burning house

Published

on

Police have confirmed the tragic death of a one-year-old toddler who died in a house fire in Molepolole last Friday.

Little Thebeyame Khan’s badly burnt body was found and recovered from his cot after his uncle bravely jumped into the raging inferno in a desperate attempt to save him.

The deceased’s aggrieved grandmother, 72-year-old Gertrude Khan, told of how the toddler had been asleep in the same room with his two elder brothers aged 8 and 7.

It is believed the blaze was caused by a candle which had been left alight- after the bulb blew, and had been placed on top of a bottle.

Khan says the boys’ mother had left them alone when she went to buy milk from a nearby tuck-shop. “I was watching television, later as I retired to sleep I heard my daughter screaming for help that the house was on fire,” explained the aggrieved grandmother, noting that the deceased’s terrified brothers bolted out in panic when the house caught fire, leaving the toddler behind.

“He was rushed to Scottish Livingstone Hospital where he was transferred to Bokamoso Private Hospital which was also full of patients and was eventually taken to Sidilega Private Hospital where he later died on Saturday morning around 3 am,” said Khan.

She said the doctor confirmed that the boy had inhaled the smoke which blocked the throat and the lungs.

The family expected the post-mortem to be conducted today (Tuesday) hopeful that the boy will be laid to rest tomorrow.

Molepolole Police Station Commander, Superintendent Motlhaba Rammabya confirmed the incident and advised parents to always leave the children in the care of an elder person.

Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending