Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Monarch community unite

BURNT DOWN: Moswela's three bedroom house

COUNCILLOR CALLS FOR SUPPORT FOR A FAMILY WHO LOST HOME IN A FIRE

Monarch North Councilor Gopolang Almando has appealed to his constituents and the rest of Botswana citizens to come to the aid of a family whose house was burnt down to ashes on Tuesday night.

The Moswela family in Area 2 Monarch were left homeless after a fire razed down their house on Tuesday night.

Almando told The Voice that he has always encouraged residents to help each other in the hour of need.

“I started this initiative in 2019 just a few months after I was voted into power. We’ve formed a group of residents to contribute money whenever one family is in need,” said Almando.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The Councilor said the community needs to unite again to help Moswela rise back on her feet.

UNITED: Hon Almando and Moswela

UNITED: Hon Almando and Moswela

“We’ve to contribute towards this noble gesture, and help to restore this house and the family’s dignity,” he said.

The councilor revealed that since the campaign started on Tuesday, there has been overwhelming support from Monarch residents.

“Our intention is to intensify the campaign so the house can be fixed, and MmaMoswela can go back to lead a normal life,” Almando said.

Narrating the story, Judith Moswela said she had to be rushed to the hospital after her seven-year-old grand daughter set the bedroom on fire, which ultimately razed down the entire house leaving them homeless.

“I was in the kitchen and had just sent my grand daughter to her room as it was way past her bed time. However 15 to 20 minutes later she came back calling out to me saying, “Granny there’s a fire in the bedroom,” said Moswela.

She said she ignored the little girl for a moment, but she wouldn’t stop until her granny followed her and indeed found the bedroom in flames.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“I immediately evacuated her younger sibling to safety and called out to the neighbours,” recalled Moswela.

She said she called the Fire Department who promised to help her.

Unbeknown to her, a neighbour had also called the department but the response she got was the car was still attending to another fire in Gerald.

“She said they told her that there were no drivers for the other available car,” revealed Moswela.

The distraught retired civil servant said she does not suspect foul play, but believes the fire was caused by the grand daughter.

“I saw a match box lying on the bed when I rushed to the burning room, and my suspicion is that she must have been playing with match sticks,” she added sombrely.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You May Also Like

News

VIOLENT HUSBAND IN COURT FOR GRIEVOUS BODILY HARM An aggressive Zimbabwean man appeared before Francistown Magistrate Court on Tuesday charged with causing grievous bodily...

News

Mother withdraws maintenance case after son’s poisoning A distraught mother, Boitumelo Mompati, this week withdrew a child maintenance case from Extension II Magistrate court...

News

*Lions terrorise Sepako farmers *10 cows killed within four days The human-wildlife conflict has reached an all-time high in Sepako, a village 50km north-east...

News

PRINCE HARRY CONDEMNS DRILLING FOR OIL IN THE OKAVANGO DELTA, MOBILISES THE WORLD TO STOP IT One of the most powerful men in the...

News

I want to hug Jesus-The General tells friends before killing himself Botswana Police are investigating another case in which one of their officers, a...

News

Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) Councillor for Medie/Kweneng, Edwin Shanakane, on Monday appeared before Molepolole Magistrates’ Court charged with defilement. Shanakane, 37, is accused of...

News

Balopi says emergency meeting was for Bye election preparations Botswana Democratic Party’s Secretary General, Mpho Balopi, has come to the defence of his party...

News

A Tsabong family has lost P129,000 in cash saved for their son’s wedding expenses in a fire that also left them homeless on Friday....

Politics

Member of Parliament for Selibe Phikwe West, Dithapelo Keorapetse, has assured the Umbrella for Democratic Change (UDC) members of a better future ahead following...

News

As part of preparations for 2022 national population census, the Ngamiland District has conducted a two-week training of enumerators for the pilot census which...

News

•Boy 14, uses dad’s loaded gun to kill 6 -year -old sister A father whose six-year-old daughter died in a shooting accident by her...

News

Palapye Labour Officers to appear in court over Makoro Bricks case Two Palapye District Labour Office employees will appear before Justice Diwanga of Francistown...

News

COP BLASTS HIS BRAINS WITH SERVICE RIFLE In a traumatic incident that has left the police with more questions than answers, a constable stationed...

News

REPORTS THE DISTRICT OFFICE TO COMMISSIONER Botswana Miners Workers Union has reported the Palapye District Labour Office to the Commissioner of Labour Goitseone Kokorwe....

News

The City of Francistown and AMA Future of Africa Holding (Pty) Ltd has signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) for the establishment of an...

News

Journalists and celebrities test-drive DYNAFLEX TECHNOLOGIES For the past two years, most Batswana, like me, stayed home as travel was cancelled due to the...

Advertisement

Copyright © TheVoiceBW. (Since1993) made with ❤️ in Botswana.