Connect with us

News

Daughter -in- law from hell

Published

on

DIVORCED WOMAN DEMANDS EX-MOTHER- IN- LAW’S HOUSE

A desperate divorcee has threatened to spoil her ex-mother in law’s Christmas by demanding that part of the old woman’s property be given to her to occupy.

Modiegi Mfolwe, 76, was this week left perplexed and flabbergasted when her irate ex daughter- in law, Sheila Mfolwe stormed into her yard with police and Mochudi land board officials in tow to stake a claim on her (Modiegi)’s residential plot.

Producing documents, which she claimed gave her a legal right to occupy the 4- bedroomed house in the back yard, Sheila successfully got cops to haul her old mother –in- law to the police station for questioning.

Disturbed and confused by what had transpired Modiegi said, “I do not share anything with this young woman. What I know is that not long after her divorce from my son in 2013 she once came to me to cry and beg that I allow her and her four children to occupy my back house because they had nowhere to go after their matrimonial home was sold in the divorce settlement. However, she disappeared for many years only for her to return to cause trouble with the backing of the Police and the Village Chief (Bana Sekai).”

Vowing that government officials will not intimidate her, the granny said, ” Because I have my own legitimate land ownership certificate of the yard from the landlord which gives me full rights to it I will not bow to her ridiculous demands and allow her to spoil my Christmas”
Sheila is the ex wife of David Mfolwe one of Modiegi’s two surviving sons.

David was reported to be outside the country on business when the fracas at his mom’s house ensued.

“My son needs to come back and put all this madness to an end because I did not offer part of my yard to this woman contrary to what she has told the officials. The affidavit, which she produced to prove that I gave her part of my plot is fake so what surprises me is that the officials are pushing to solve this matter fast before my son arrives back home but I am optimistic that they will not prevail against me,” she said.

Police officers, Department of Land Board officials and the village chief (Sekai) have already taken measurements of the section of the plot that was to be repossessed from the old woman and handed over to Sheila.

Efforts to source a comment from Sekai proved futile as he said he was in too much of a hurry to comment and asked to be followed to the Kgotla.

At the Kgotka Sekai shifted goal posts and said he had to make an urgent trip to Gaborone so he should be contacted on Wednesday morning instead.

However on Wednesday he said, “I am busy, I am in a middle of a case so I would suggest you just forgetting about this matter.

Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

How Gov bluddered on first Corona virus death

Published

on

*Hundreds exposed to the virus

Government secrecy and unreliable communication this week dealt a devastating blow to the fight against Corona virus, exposing hundreds of people to infection in Gaborone and surrounding areas.

As people reeled from the announcement of the first Corona Virus death in the country on Tuesday afternoon, it has emerged that government had known about the 79- year- old Ramotswa woman’s status since Thursday last week and concealed the information both to the family and mortuary that handled her body.

On Wednesday afternoon traumatised Babereki Ka Lorato Mortuary staff spoke of how they were unnecessarily exposed to the deadly virus.

Speaking in an interview with The Voice Newspaper on Wednesday, the concerned Chairman of the mortuary, Martin Gabokake said the woman was brought in a body bag on Friday.

“Our employees asked why someone who had died at Bamalete Lutheran hospital a day before was brought in a body bag and they were told she died of asthma, and so they let the body in and handled it in the manner they normaly handle all other bodies,” Gabobake explained.

He went on further to explain that it was only yesterday that to their shock and horror the staff was told of the true nature of the old woman’s passing.
“ Had we been told the truth to begin with, the body would have been handled in a safer way. The fact that they brought her in a body bag means they new something and they blatantly lied to us,” Gabobake said.

Her funeral was also not accorded the security screening associated with Covid-19 deaths, a source has revealed. Health officials have since asked villagers who had attended the old woman’s funeral to submit for testing as they to may have been exposed to the virus.

This was another terrible blunder by government. Had they disclosed that the old woman had died of COVID -19 or even told us that she was a suspected case, most of us would have kept away,” said the source.

Meanwhile government moved to quarantine 14 family members on Tuesday. All mortuary employees and close associates of the woman were also locked up for observation on Wednesday.

Colleagues of the deceased grandson, who works for a local hotel, have also been summoned for mandatory testing.

“Her grandson (name known to this publication) continued working with us and it was business as usual. He did not know his grandmother had the virus and died from it. They were very close. He is the one who took care of her and took her for hospital visits,” the worried colleague has revealed.

Efforts to get a comment from the grandson were futile at the time of going to press. In a telephone interview from quarantine he told The Voice that he wished for privacy.

Botswana has recorded one death as a result of the COVID-19 with three positive cases currently stable at the Sir Ketumile Teaching Hospital in Gaborone.

There are 189 negative results, 593 lab test performed and 1856 people currently on quarantine.

Continue Reading

News

Politicians clash over Covid-19 meeting

Published

on

The fight against Covid-19 stepped into the periphery of partisan politics this week as the absence of Umbrella for Democratic Change (UDC) leaders sparked accusations and counter-accusations over their invitation to President Mokgweetsi Masisi’s closed meeting.

UDC President, Duma Boko and party vice president, Dumelang Saleshando, were not part of the delegation that attended the three-hour long meeting.

Although Masisi stated that Boko, like other party leaders was invited, the UDC has vehemently denied the claim.

In a press release that was issued last night the UDC said. “We have noted the events that have been evolving around the Covid-19 pandemic, its a serious matter that requires all of us to work genuinely. We value and encourage national dialogue on important matters such as the fight against Covid 19. The truth is that the UDC president has not received any invitation from Office of the President and we call OP to provide proof.”

However, when the UDC Spokesperson, Moeti Mohwasa was asked about calls made to him by OP, he said, ” I was asked about Boko’s whereabouts by Kaelo Molefe and I told him I was in Phikwe. I asked him to check him at his house. This morning I got another call from Professor Mpho Molomo who said he had Boko’s invitation to a meeting with President Masisi and I suggested that they go to his house, an address which is popular within the government enclave. I indicated to him that I had received a similar call from Kaelo Molefhe and he said he was with him. Kaelo knows where Boko stays having been his associate in the build-up to the 2014 General Elections. So quite frankly I doubt he would say he does not know Boko’s house. As regards Nick and Keorapetse I cannot comment on their behalf, ” explained Mohwasa last night.

Dithapelo Keorapetse too said that the OP was being playful. “Why would they contact me for DGB? They are aware of his PA, VP, Secretary General, Spokesperson and UDC NEC. These are the people from who to check him. Whoever wants the UDC President from me for official things is playing. The state has been to his house several times. How did they suddenly forget his place of abode? Even Kaelo knows Boko’s House from his UDC days, ” said Keorapetse.

The accusations did not go well with the BDP Chairman of Communications, Kagelelo Kentse, who expressed concern that the UDC was turning a pandemic into a political mudsling.

He said that all efforts including calls, text, WhatsApp messages to Boko, Moeti, Keorapetse and Boko’s bodyguard were made without any success. “There is a communication trail to prove this. UDC must know when to come to the table and be patriotic on issues on national interest such as COVID-19, its very disappointing for a party calling themselves an alternative government to behave in this manner but Batswana are watching and we know they will punish them for this.”

Continue Reading

Sponsored ads

Advertisement
Advertisement


Trending