Connect with us

News

Hungry residents are angry residents

Published

on

COUNCILLOR: Boiki Sibisibi

Molepolole residents mount food protest 

Residents of Boswelakoko/Saint Paul ward in Molepolole North constituency yesterday mounted a protest outside their councillor’s home to demand Covid -19 food relief hampers.

About 30 hungry people who qualified for social welfare after an assessment last month complained that the waiting period has been too long and their families were now starving.

59-year Keamogetse Motlhabapitse who survives by temporary jobs and Ipelegeng Programme told this publication that although she was worried that she wasn’t able to pay herrent this month, it was hunger that kept her awake at night.

Another starving pensioner, 69-year-old Batsile Kebopetswe, who was part of the protestors also complained of hunger and imminent starvation.
“We only had one child who died. I am here today to ask for some food from our councillor. We are hungry, the social workers do not care about us,” said Kebopetswe.

The irate residents also berated their area member of parliament (MP) Oabile Regoeng for lying on television that the COVID 19 food relief programme was going smoothly when addressing parliament on Wednesday.

“We are very hurt about his words in parliament. He really showed us that he does not care about us and that he lacks responsibility. Where is he right now? He is nowhere to be found, and he is not even taking our calls. We can’t wait for 2024 to vote him out,” said a fuming resident, Cally Mosarwa.
IRATE: Boswelakoko/St Paul ward residents
Village Development Committee (VDC) member, Ido Masilo also told of how their MP had disappointed them after he had promised to talk to the council secretary, Goleba Kgari to speed up the food distribution process and never brought back feedback but decided not to pick their calls instead.

“I cant sleep. Day and night people knock at my door looking for food. As a VDC member I share what I have. Now I have taken the responsibility of a councillor and our councillor has taken the responsibility of an MP while our MP has gone absent.”
This Reporter also tried to contact the accused MP for comment and his phone rang unanswered.

Highlighting how the whole COVID-19 food distribution process was now in total shambles, Masilo said, “We are from the social workers at Kweneng District Council. At first they told us that they had lost or misplaced assesement forms but today they are saying something different.
They say some people who had previously qualified have turned out to be government employees while others had already been enrolled on the existing government destitute welfare programme. Its very confusing.”  

Boswelakoko Saint Paul Councillor, Boiki Sibisibi, confirmed that he had a list of about 100 people who were yet to be given food.
In an effort to disperse the protesters, Sibisibi called Assistant Council Secretary (ACS) Douglas Sesimanyana to come and assess the situation and take a list of names to be handed over to social workers to fast track the food programe. 

When approached for comment, Sesimanyana said, “ You journalists aren’t you tired of asking the same questions every day? If you want news go to the offices.” In the end the angry crowd reluctaltly dispersed after the councillor had fed them soft porridge.

Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

SADC Executive Secretary disturbed by obstacles in movement of goods

Published

on

The Executive Secretary of SADC, Dr Stegomena Lawrence Tax, has cautioned member states that any lack of cooperation among then during the COVID19 era has potential to reverse the gains made in the last decades.

Addressing a virtual SADC Council of Ministers meeting this week, Lawrence Tax said that the regional ministers approved Guidelines on Harmonization and Facilitation of Movement of Essential Goods and Services across borders early April. 

She said that whilst the guidelines have played a critical role in facilitation of movement of essential goods, there are notable obstacles that have been noted by the Secretariat.

The obstacles include non-compliance/non recognition of regional legal frameworks; uncoordinated operations at the port of entry among border agencies; lack of harmonization and synchronization of policies and procedures among, and between member states; unilateral decisions outside agreed framework; as well as different approaches to deal with epidemiological challenges,” she said. 

She added that; “all these are resulting in increased cost of doing business, and negatively affecting the implementation of national and regional programmes”.

She advised that there is need to have measures, and coordinated approach in place since the region is in a post lockdown period since the transportation of non-essential goods and services will be resuming.

Lawrence Tax added that COVID19 is a global pandemic and that the SADC regional approach should expand to COMESA-EAC-SADC tripartite and eventually to other continental blocs.

“The Secretariat is already working with COMESA and EAC, specifically, in terms of harmonizing and synchronizing regulations and procedures for movement of goods and services under the Tripartite arrangement. We need to move in unison and avoid unilateral decisions, specifically with regards to cross border movement of goods and services,” she said.

According to the Executive Secretary, the regional office has already conducted a socio-economic impact analysis of COVID19 on the region and the results have shown that the pandemic will impact negatively across many socio and economic sectors.

“The decline in the global economy is projected to lead to a decline in commodity prices, increase in debt and significant contraction of the SADC economies in 2020. This will reverse the gains on industrial development and trade that the region has made in the last couple of years,” Lawrence Tax said.

On the flip side,  the region’s International Cooperating Partners have made pledges to mitigate the impact of COVID19 pandemic on its economy. 

“To date, the Secretariat has secured Euro 7.3 million from the German Government; Euro3.6million from European Union, Euro 190,000.00 under the GIZ/Africa Union Commission, whereas the African Development Bank (AfDB)  has considered a support UA 7 million. Engagements with the Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA) are also at an advanced stage,” the Executive Secretary said.

Continue Reading

News

Guma Moyo returns

Published

on

*Controversial politician headed for BPF *BURS owes me P6 million and I am waiting for reimbursement- Moyo

Self-exiled former legislator, Guma Moyo, is reportedly headed back home from South Africa to rejoin local politics after applying for Botswana Patriotic Front (BPF) membership.

The flamboyant businessman and former Member of Parliament for Tati-East has been missing in action after he left the country under a dark cloud of controversy claiming that he was fearing for his life.

It also turned out during his sojourn in South Africa that Moyo had also been under the taxman’s radar, with allegations of tax evasion further fueling the confusion over his decision to flee.

The outspoken politician fell off with his party, Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) in a factional war that saw him lead a campaign that endorsed Pelonomi Venson-Moitoi against President Mokgweetsi Masisi for the party presidency.

Although he was expected to support Venson Moitoi, Moyo did not attend the Kang Congress leading to his dismissal from the party.

In an interview with The Voice this week, Moyo confirmed having applied for the BPF membership.

“I have applied for BPF membership. They are my friends and I think that’s where I am welcome.”

He dismissed allegations that he was joining BPF to challenge Biggie Butale for the party presidency.

“They have a leader and I am not joining to lead but to be part of the collective of the party. I believe in them.”

When asked how he was going to work with the party patron, former President Ian Khama, who he didn’t have a good working relationship during his tenure as President, Moyo said, “My relationship with Khama is unquestionable, politics or no politics we are inseparable…Yes we had differences at some point but he apologised for having been misled by some government officials to take decisions that he took and I accepted the apology. That chapter is closed. ” he added.

In May 2015, Moyo says he had the shock of his life when he learnt from one of the banks that they had been instructed to freeze his accounts on graft allegations.

Investigators in the matter questioned the over P25 million which was paid into Moyo’s business account and they suspected that the invoices that Moyo produced had been fabricated.

Before that, the then President Khama hasd launched a scathing attack on Moyo, saying he did not have the interests of the electorates at heart after he was dropped from cabinet.

He said Moyo was only looking for power and self enrichment.

Moyo mentioned that despite having been fired by the BDP, he was grateful to the party for making him what he is today. “I have accepted the move and will not go back.”

BPF Secretary General, Roseline Panzirah Matshome confirmed having received Moyo’s application.

Meanwhile, Moyo has made shocking remarks that Botswana Unified Revenue Service owes him P6 million after he was initially alleged to be owing the tax collector.

The politician who is on self imposed exile in South Africa, says he is waiting for BURS to reimburse him.

“My accounts were frozen and after an audit was done it transpired that it was actually them that owed me, they must refund me,” he said and added: “Let’s not discuss it further because it is politics and it will catch up with them.”

However the BURS General Manager of Communications, Mable Bolele declined to comment on the allegations.

“We are unable to assist you since we do not discuss individual taxpayer issues with the third party as guided by Income Tax Act, Secrecy- under Section 5 Sub-section 1.”

Continue Reading

Sponsored ads

ABSA COVID-19 Fund
Advertisement
Advertisement


Trending