Connect with us

News

Murder suspect on the run

Rape and murder reach crisis level in Botswana

Published

on

Police in Serowe are on the hunt for a 35- year -old man in connection with the murder of his 28- year- old girlfriend.

Officer Commanding No.2 District, Senior Superintendent Paul Oketsang told The Voice that the suspect stabbed the victim several times with a knife before fleeing.

“What we’ve gathered so far is that the suspect was from Mmathethe village while the murdered woman is from Dukwi,” said Oketsang.

Oketsang said the increasing number of murder and attempted murder cases in his area are worrying.

“Last Monday, a man strangled his girlfriend to death with a scarf in Palapye. He was arrested at Sese Gate, along Francistown/Gaborone road,” he said.

Oketsang said in 2017 and 2018 they registered 31 murder/attempted murder cases respectively, while in 2019 the cases increased to 48. “This is a significant increase of 17, and as members of the police we are concerned,” he said.

The police boss also bemoaned the increasing number of rape cases.

He said they recorded 227 rape cases in 2017, 261 in 2018 and 268 in 2019. “You can see that there’s an upward trajectory, a trend we have to stop,” he said.

The top cop said their concern is that all their efforts to curb GBV seem to be failing. “We’ve been talking to people through various programmes at Kgotla meetings and clinics, but all these efforts are not bearing fruits,” cried Oketsang.

“I think the entire nation needs counseling. It looks like everyone has issues, so we all have to go for counseling because this has now reached crisis level,” he said.

Oketsang further called on all media houses to report on issues of GBV responsibly to avoid perpetuating the situation. “The media is an important stakeholder in the fight against this violent behaviour. We need them to spread this message and to energise everyone to join us in the fight against GBV.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Son of BDP women’s wing SG accused of forging DIS boss signature

Published

on

Yes I was detained and questioned- Maruapula

A man rumoured to be romantically linked to the reigning Miss Botswana, Oweditse Phirinyane was this week allegedly nabbed and questioned for impersonating a Directorate Of Intelligence Services (DIS) agent.

The suspect, Mompati Maruapula is the son of Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) women’s wing secretary General, Neo Maruapula.

He reportedly attracted law enforcement officers’s attention by uttering a false document, complete with a forged signature of the Director General of the DIS Peter Magosi as ‘proof” that he was employee of the DIS when he was not.

He allegedly produced the fake proof of employment in an attempt to fraudulently purchase a BMW vehicle limited addition at one of the car dealers in Gaborone, an eyewitness has claimed.

“The car dealership phoned the DIS to confirm and that is when law enforcement agencies were alerted and a sting operation was set in motion to nab him,” the source further narrated.

He was then told to come back at 2Pm for the car only for him to find security agents waiting to catch him.

Asked to comment on the incident Maruapula explained that he was not charged but simply questioned.

“They (Police) said they would get back to me. I have not yet been charged with any crime. I was briefly detained and released yes. It is true,” he said in a brief interview.

The DIS when quizzed about the matter referred The Voice to The Botswana Police.

“I cannot confirm nor deny your questions. Please liase with the Police for a full brief,” DISS spokesperson Edward Robert said.

Miss Botswana also refused to comment saying she would like to keep her private life private and quickly handed the phone to the recently divorced Maruapula who was in her company at the time.

Continue Reading

News

Montshiwa’s murder trial yet to start

Published

on

Trial date for the late Fairground Holdings Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Michael Montshiwa’s murder case has been postponed as Judge Michael Mothobi is on sick leave.

The main suspect in this matter attorney David Modise and his co-accused- a traditional doctor Tumelo Tshukudu, today appeared at the Gaborone High Court for mention and confirmation of trial dates.

The 35-year-old lawyer is linked to the death of his client, Montshiwa, and he is facing another charge of stealing by agent.

He is currently out on bail awaiting trial.

Montshiwa was shot and killed on the 18th of October, 2015 at his house in Block 6 Gaborone.

It is said that Modise was the last person to communicate with Montshiwa just minutes before the CEO’s fatal shooting.

Police investigations revealed that between June 30 and October 17, 2015, Modise withdrew about P245 000 from Montshiwa’s Trust account.

The money according to the Investigating Officer Detective Senior Superintendent Sergeant Marapo, was entrusted to Modise for the purchase of a plot for Montshiwa in Mogoditshane.

It is alleged that when Montshiwa realised that the money was missing from the Trust account, he communicated with Modise demanding to see him at his house on the night he was killed.

Continue Reading

News

DPP resuscitates 15 year ‘cold’ murder case

Published

on

Nearly fifteen years after he allegedly hacked three people to death, the wheels of justice have started turning and the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) are reopening the files to bring murder suspect Mokolopi Mothusi to book.

The accused is facing a triple murder charge after he allegedly hacked to death a man, his wife, and their child with a tomahawk axe sometime in 2005 at Khonkhwa settlement near Jwaneng.

The matter appeared to have been forgotten for sometime, but on Monday the DPP reopened Mothusi’s files and he showed up in court walking with the aid of crutches.

Initially the matter was scheduled for trial for several dates in May but had to be postponed to December to allow the defense to locate witnesses.

“We are faced with a difficult matter here, so far the state had intended to call 20 witnesses, but we are informed that five of them have since died. We will also need time to locate our witnesses who are scattered somewhere in the desert,” said attorney Tengo Rubadiri who is defending Mothusi.

The matter was postponed and trial dates have been set for December 10th up to 15th 2020.

Meanwhile, in a separate matter, Kagiso Sejamabogo will have to wait a bit longer in prison before he is granted bail pending appeal of his 17-year prison sentence for various offences.

Although he has been in prison since 2012, Sejamabogo will have to wait until June before the High Court hears his appeal because a typist who was recording his case record at Molepolole Magistrates Court has been transferred to Mochudi.

Since 2018, Sejamabogo has been trying to get his case record from the court but the staff have been too busy with other engagements at the expense of his agonizing prison remand.

Justice Michael Leburu ordered the Molepolole Court Clerk to avail the record on the 29th of May and that the appellant will present his argument on June 22nd.

The appellant has had his prison term reduced to 11 years and has so far served eight years in prison.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement


Trending