Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Synthetic conundrum

*Botswana, DeBeers speak on lab grown diamonds

CONFIDENT: Bruce Cleaver INSET: original vs synthetic

In recent years, lab grown diamonds have enjoyed a steady growth in popularity, to the point many experts feel they now pose a real threat to their natural brothers.

As the leading diamond producer by value in the world, Botswana would be in trouble should synthetic gems replace natural stones at the top of the lucrative diamond pile.

However, it seems government, together with their strategic partners, DeBeers Group, have every confidence Botswana diamonds will continue to sparkle in the global market for many years to come.

Synthetic conundrum


Briefing journalists on the sidelines of The Natural Diamond Summit in Gaborone last week, Minister of Minerals and Energy, Lefoko Moagi, expressed his belief in a bright future for the country’s money-spinning mineral.

“We believe in natural diamonds and space we are operating in because these stones are rare and people will always want to have them. To showcase that this is a sector we will operate in for a long time, we are investing in skills transfer in pricing, marketing and exporting knowledge of our diamonds,” said Moagi.

According Moagi, US$11billion (approximately P146 billion) has been committed for use over a five-year period in order to explore Botswana for more diamond mining opportunities.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Debswana’s major projects, being Orapa Cut 3 and Jwaneng Underground Mine, are already at a planning stage, with in-depth studies being carried out for successful implementation. If successful, the operations are expected to add several years to both Orapa and Jwaneng’s life spans.

Synthetic conundrum


Echoing similar sentiments, Debeers Group Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Bruce Cleaver, said, “We market and advocate for our diamonds more especially the good that it has brought to this country. We are into the trade of rough diamonds space and other value chain business in the diamond industry. However, we cannot take our eyes from what is happening out there like in the case of synthetic diamonds. As Debeers we have a small investment in that area but this does not mean natural diamonds and synthetic diamonds are competing with each other.”

Cleaver, further alluded that a new contract between the Government of Botswana and Debeers will be sealed and concluded in a friendly and cordial manner.

Botswana and Debeers proud partnership dates back to 1969 and has developed into one of the most successful public private partnerships.

However, talks between the two over a new sales deal have been a subject of discussion and in the limelight since 2020 when the old agreement expired.

Since then, the two parties have twice extended the existing arrangement. The current extension was announced in July and is set to end in June 2023.

Under the present deal, Botswana owns 15 percent of Debeers while 85 percent is held by Anglo American.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Further, through the Debswana joint venture, 75 percent of rough diamonds are sold through Debeers while the remaining 25 percent is sold through Government of Botswana’s Okavango Diamond Company.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like


*18-month baby found alive in pit latrine after three days missing


*My Star winner demands his cash prize


International Men’s Day celebrated in Ghetto The boys came out to play in Francistown on Friday as the city celebrated International Men’s Day a...


For a man well steeped in public relations, Thapelo Letsholo is surprisingly coy about discussing himself. When we pitch for an interview he insists...


Farida’s Love for Mother and Child Trust will this Saturday 3 December 2022, embark on a GBV awareness walk to address the devastating effects...


A Maun high court judge, Bugalo Maripe has slammed the chief justice, Terrence Rannowane and interdicted him from transferring a case involving himself and...


European Union invests in a green, diverse Botswana As part of their efforts to promote green transformation, the European Union (EU) are splashing out...


Dairy delights with a local twist United by a single, dairy-based dream, in 2009 five local ladies joined forces to form Dream Flavours. 13...


CCTV suppliers beef up local security There were already a whole host of CCTV, protection and security technology dealers around when Canterquip set up...


300 permanent jobs created as P140 million mall opens The first ever mall in the diamond rich Boteti District was officially opened in Letlhakane...


Association of International Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and Certified Institute of Management Accounts (CIMA) brought together stakeholders at their annual dinner dance last Friday...