Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

ACCUSED: Mothusi

Latest News

DPP resuscitates 15 year ‘cold’ murder case

Nearly fifteen years after he allegedly hacked three people to death, the wheels of justice have started turning and the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) are reopening the files to bring murder suspect Mokolopi Mothusi to book.

The accused is facing a triple murder charge after he allegedly hacked to death a man, his wife, and their child with a tomahawk axe sometime in 2005 at Khonkhwa settlement near Jwaneng.

The matter appeared to have been forgotten for sometime, but on Monday the DPP reopened Mothusi’s files and he showed up in court walking with the aid of crutches.

Initially the matter was scheduled for trial for several
dates in May but had to be postponed to December to allow the defense to locate
witnesses.

“We are faced with a difficult matter here, so far the state
had intended to call 20 witnesses, but we are informed that five of them have
since died. We will also need time to locate our witnesses who are scattered
somewhere in the desert,” said attorney Tengo Rubadiri who is defending
Mothusi.

The matter was postponed and trial dates have been set for December 10th
up to 15th 2020.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Meanwhile, in a separate matter, Kagiso Sejamabogo will have
to wait a bit longer in prison before he is granted bail pending appeal of his
17-year prison sentence for various offences.

Although he has been in prison since 2012, Sejamabogo will have to wait until
June before the High Court hears his appeal because a typist who was recording
his case record at Molepolole Magistrates Court has been transferred to
Mochudi.

Since 2018, Sejamabogo has been trying to get his case record from the court
but the staff have been too busy with other engagements at the expense of his agonizing
prison remand.

Justice Michael Leburu ordered the Molepolole Court Clerk to
avail the record on the 29th of May and that the appellant will
present his argument on June 22nd.

The appellant has had his prison term reduced to 11 years and has so far served
eight years in prison.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You May Also Like

Latest News

A Molepolole Magistrate’s Court last week released on bail Nkgopoleng Kolagano, a suspect in the recent Kumakwane cash-in-transit heist. The 44-year-old Kolagano of Taung...

Latest News

Minister of Defence, Justice and Security, Kagiso Mmusi, has told parliament that the total number of cases that were registered under the Domestic Violence...

Latest News

Judge orders state to return Seretse's money

Latest News

-Kenosi wanted for DIS leaks -His Facebook post may cost BDP elections- Source Controversial journalist, entrepreneur and social media marketer, Daniel Kenosi is a...

Latest News

South African government has confirmed that Botswana has finally followed the right procedure seeking legal assistance in a high profile money laundering dispute that...

Latest News

•Independent report into the 100 billion loot punches holes in state’s case

Latest News

The Directorate of Public Prosecutions moved another step closer to recovering the government’s P60 million from Basis Points Capital LTD when it closed its...

Latest News

The Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) faces possible contempt of court after failing to file and share answering affidavits in urgent bail application of...

Advertisement