Connect with us

News

Drinking spree ends in death

Published

on

*Man accused of strangling his lover after boozy night

A young couple’s Friday night drinking spree ended in tragedy with the man allegedly strangling his girlfriend to death.

Fuelled by alcohol and anger, 22-year-old Onneile Ontshutile is accused of killing his age-mate lover, Bachaisa Tujwane on the evening of 24 January.

The Otse village resident appeared before Molepolole Magistrates Court on Tuesday charged with murder.

It is alleged the pair had been drinking ‘Khadi’ traditional brew at a depot in Otse when Ontshutile decided it was time to go home.

However, as it was raining, Tujwane told him they should wait until the rain cleared.

It seems Ontshutile got tired of waiting and pulled his girlfriend away from the depot, forcing her to follow him.

Police suspect that on the way home, the accused strangled his lover, leaving her lifeless body lying in the bush.

It appears some of the revellers who had been drinking at the depot were concerned at the abrupt manner in which the couple left and so went to search for them.

They were shocked to find Tujwane’s corpse sprawled out on the wet ground.

Requesting that the suspect be remanded in custody, Sojwe Police Station Commander, Superintendent Ketsiso Lemogang told court the cops were still waiting for the post-mortem report.

He further noted Ontshutile should be locked up for his own safety as tempers amongst the public were dangerously high.

It was a request the court agreed to, sending the accused murderer to prison until his next mention, set for 17 February.

Meanwhile, Superintendent Lemogang told The Voice there was another murder in his jurisdiction on Monday afternoon.

“We are investigating a 43-year-old man suspected to have murdered another man at Talebale cattlepost,” revealed the top cop.

He explained that the duo had a misunderstanding which quickly turned physical.

“They started fighting and the suspect allegedly hit the deceased with a hard object on the back of his neck. He was later reported dead,” continued Lemogang, adding the suspect has been arrested and will appear before court soon.

The police boss urged the public to avoid excessive drinking as it is becoming an increasingly common prelude to murder.

Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

How Gov bluddered on first Corona virus death

Published

on

*Hundreds exposed to the virus

Government secrecy and unreliable communication this week dealt a devastating blow to the fight against Corona virus, exposing hundreds of people to infection in Gaborone and surrounding areas.

As people reeled from the announcement of the first Corona Virus death in the country on Tuesday afternoon, it has emerged that government had known about the 79- year- old Ramotswa woman’s status since Thursday last week and concealed the information both to the family and mortuary that handled her body.

On Wednesday afternoon traumatised Babereki Ka Lorato Mortuary staff spoke of how they were unnecessarily exposed to the deadly virus.

Speaking in an interview with The Voice Newspaper on Wednesday, the concerned Chairman of the mortuary, Martin Gabokake said the woman was brought in a body bag on Friday.

“Our employees asked why someone who had died at Bamalete Lutheran hospital a day before was brought in a body bag and they were told she died of asthma, and so they let the body in and handled it in the manner they normaly handle all other bodies,” Gabobake explained.

He went on further to explain that it was only yesterday that to their shock and horror the staff was told of the true nature of the old woman’s passing.
“ Had we been told the truth to begin with, the body would have been handled in a safer way. The fact that they brought her in a body bag means they new something and they blatantly lied to us,” Gabobake said.

Her funeral was also not accorded the security screening associated with Covid-19 deaths, a source has revealed. Health officials have since asked villagers who had attended the old woman’s funeral to submit for testing as they to may have been exposed to the virus.

This was another terrible blunder by government. Had they disclosed that the old woman had died of COVID -19 or even told us that she was a suspected case, most of us would have kept away,” said the source.

Meanwhile government moved to quarantine 14 family members on Tuesday. All mortuary employees and close associates of the woman were also locked up for observation on Wednesday.

Colleagues of the deceased grandson, who works for a local hotel, have also been summoned for mandatory testing.

“Her grandson (name known to this publication) continued working with us and it was business as usual. He did not know his grandmother had the virus and died from it. They were very close. He is the one who took care of her and took her for hospital visits,” the worried colleague has revealed.

Efforts to get a comment from the grandson were futile at the time of going to press. In a telephone interview from quarantine he told The Voice that he wished for privacy.

Botswana has recorded one death as a result of the COVID-19 with three positive cases currently stable at the Sir Ketumile Teaching Hospital in Gaborone.

There are 189 negative results, 593 lab test performed and 1856 people currently on quarantine.

Continue Reading

News

Politicians clash over Covid-19 meeting

Published

on

The fight against Covid-19 stepped into the periphery of partisan politics this week as the absence of Umbrella for Democratic Change (UDC) leaders sparked accusations and counter-accusations over their invitation to President Mokgweetsi Masisi’s closed meeting.

UDC President, Duma Boko and party vice president, Dumelang Saleshando, were not part of the delegation that attended the three-hour long meeting.

Although Masisi stated that Boko, like other party leaders was invited, the UDC has vehemently denied the claim.

In a press release that was issued last night the UDC said. “We have noted the events that have been evolving around the Covid-19 pandemic, its a serious matter that requires all of us to work genuinely. We value and encourage national dialogue on important matters such as the fight against Covid 19. The truth is that the UDC president has not received any invitation from Office of the President and we call OP to provide proof.”

However, when the UDC Spokesperson, Moeti Mohwasa was asked about calls made to him by OP, he said, ” I was asked about Boko’s whereabouts by Kaelo Molefe and I told him I was in Phikwe. I asked him to check him at his house. This morning I got another call from Professor Mpho Molomo who said he had Boko’s invitation to a meeting with President Masisi and I suggested that they go to his house, an address which is popular within the government enclave. I indicated to him that I had received a similar call from Kaelo Molefhe and he said he was with him. Kaelo knows where Boko stays having been his associate in the build-up to the 2014 General Elections. So quite frankly I doubt he would say he does not know Boko’s house. As regards Nick and Keorapetse I cannot comment on their behalf, ” explained Mohwasa last night.

Dithapelo Keorapetse too said that the OP was being playful. “Why would they contact me for DGB? They are aware of his PA, VP, Secretary General, Spokesperson and UDC NEC. These are the people from who to check him. Whoever wants the UDC President from me for official things is playing. The state has been to his house several times. How did they suddenly forget his place of abode? Even Kaelo knows Boko’s House from his UDC days, ” said Keorapetse.

The accusations did not go well with the BDP Chairman of Communications, Kagelelo Kentse, who expressed concern that the UDC was turning a pandemic into a political mudsling.

He said that all efforts including calls, text, WhatsApp messages to Boko, Moeti, Keorapetse and Boko’s bodyguard were made without any success. “There is a communication trail to prove this. UDC must know when to come to the table and be patriotic on issues on national interest such as COVID-19, its very disappointing for a party calling themselves an alternative government to behave in this manner but Batswana are watching and we know they will punish them for this.”

Continue Reading

Sponsored ads

Advertisement
Advertisement


Trending