Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Modise now the only suspect in Montshiwa murder

MAIN SUSPECT: Modise
MAIN SUSPECT: Modise

One is the loneliest number for Modise as Montshiwa murder trial takes a twist

First there were three. On Friday, that number was whittled down to a lonely one.

36-year-old David Modise is now the sole suspect in the murder of former Fairgrounds Holdings CEO, Michael Montshiwa, after his co-accused, Tumelo Tshukudu turned state witness against him.

Six years have passed since Montshiwa was gunned down outside his home in the suburbs of Gaborone’s Block 6 location.

With the long-awaited murder trial finally due to start last Friday, Tshukudu’s bombshell means the matter could be postponed for another year.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

It follows a similar pattern to the events of 2016 when state withdrew the charges against, Bampoloki Seiso, a traditional doctor who was originally co-charged with Montshiwa’s murder.

Seiso then turned state witness.

It means Modise, once regarded as one of the best young lawyers in the country, will now face the fire alone.

Calling for the case to be delayed, one of Modise’s attorneys, Jabu Oteng, told High Court they were only made aware of the development the previous day (Thursday 18 November).

TURNING STATE WITNESS: Tshukudu

TURNING STATE WITNESS: Tshukudu

“This will change the manner in which we would have pursued our client’s defence. We are thus asking to be given more time to prepare for trial,” said Oteng.

Unimpressed, the presiding Judge, Justice Zein Kebonang voiced his displeasure at the lack of progress in the matter, noting the defence’s actions were starting to look suspiciously like delay tactics.

Kebonang further bemoaned his busy schedule, adding postponing the trial now would mean having to delay it until next November.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Alternatively, the Judge added it was possible to hold the trial at weekends.

“This matter has been dragging for years. On Monday, it was postponed after the defence demanded some documents which were said to be missing in the file of the main suspect which was seized when arrested. Now the defence feel they have been ambushed by prosecution on the new development of the second accused. I have trials from January until November 2022. Unless you do not have problem with coming to court on weekends?” suggested Kebonang.

It was a suggestion that both the defence and prosecution said they were willing to consider.

In the end, Kebonang postponed the matter to 29 November for status hearing and setting of new trial dates.

He also ordered that both parties meet on the 24th at the DPP’s office to compare notes and ensure the defence has received all the necessary documents.

Modise was acting as Montshiwa’s attorney at the time of his murder.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

He is believed to be the last known person to communicate with Montshiwa, just minutes before the CEO’s fatal shooting.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You May Also Like

Entertainment

A romantic get away for olympic medalist Nijel Amos turned out to be a possible worst nightmare for one of the fastest man on...

News

A family in Hukuntsi watched helplessly as P18,000 worth of lobola cash was reduced to ashes after their house caught fire last Tuesday night....

News

*Will it be Lesaso, Letsholo or Moabi

News

Festive ended with fireworks for a married couple in Gamodubu village last Sunday. Sadly it was not the type that light up the sky...

News

Police in Tutume are investigating a case in which a 25-year-old man allegedly set ablaze his girlfriend’s hut. The incident happened last week Wednesday...

News

A Mosetse village man appeared before a Francistown Magistrate Court last week on a single count of threat to kill. According to the charge...

Business

We start the year by featuring Tumelo Pabalinga, the Executive Director of Emergency Assist 991 – previously known as Netcare 991. The Sebina native...

News

WOMAN’S HEARTBREAK FOR SON’S GIRLFRIEND KILLED IN CAR CRASH A devastated mother-in-law to be, Keabonye Ntsabane, has paid tribute to her son’s girlfriend who...

Sports

...As Mapantsola Cruise to 3-1 Victory Over Fighters

Entertainment

Local riders will once again miss the opportunity to compete in the popular Toyota 1000 Desert Race since the event will be held in...

Politics

A peep into a ‘Dry’ Backbench During the festive holidays, another prominent member of the ruling Botswana Democratic Party (BDP), Mpho Balopi resigned from...

News

A 30-year-old woman reportedly died after being electrocuted by an electric cable which was lying on the ground from a fallen Botswana Power Corporation...

News

A report by Psychiatric Out-patient Disorder Consultations indicates that more men in Botswana are prone to mental illness than women. Of the close to...

Entertainment

The second annual Botsalano Cup, an initiative by area Councilor Ontiretse Zuma Baakile is on the cards. The event will be preceded by an...

Entertainment

Although her music career has hit Mt Kilimanjaro-like heights in recent years, 31-year-old Girlie ‘wa di body’ is in fact a veteran of the...

News

Francistowners reveal their dreams for 2022 For many, the dawn of a new year is seen as a chance for a fresh start, an...

Advertisement

Copyright © TheVoiceBW. (Since1993) made with ❤️ in Botswana.