Connect with us

News

Man gets 10 years for raping ex-lover

Published

on

“She lied. I did not rape her, she was my girlfriend. I found her at the depot with another man and I took her to my place where we spent the night having sex,” insists Keamoitse Mongongoregi.

Standing outside Francistown Magistrate Court on Monday, his hands and feet shackled together, sweat dripping down his forehead, the 36-year-old Matsitama man cuts a forlorn figure.

Despite maintaining the act was consensual, Mongongoregi has just been sentenced to ten years imprisonment for rape.

The incident took place in Matsitama – a small village located roughly 100km west of Francistown – in June last year.

The convicted rapist was reportedly seen harassing his former lover, arming himself with stones and ordering her to accompany him to his place.

“They were no longer together and he had sex with her without her consent the whole night. The victim reported in the morning,” revealed a source, who wished to remain anonymous.

Before delivering sentence, Magistrate Taboka Mopipi noted Mongongoregi was a first-time offender with no previous convictions.

“Court will therefore take that in consideration and also look at the offence committed. Any person charged with rape shall upon conviction be sentenced to 10 years or maximum life in prison,” she declared, further adding there were no other extenuating circumstances to consider.

Magistarte Mopipi thus saw it fit to sentence the guilty man to a decade in the slammer, backdating the punishment to 12 June 2019 when Mongongoregi was originally incarcerated.

Standing outside court savouring the midday summer heat as he waited for the prison van to transport him to his new home, Mongongoregi asked for coins to buy a cigarette.

“I am stressed when I think of 10 years. I am going to appeal,” he told The Voice, his light skin pale with shock.

“I did not rape that girl, she was my girlfriend. I found her with another man at the depot and I took her to my place where we spent the night,” he repeated.

“The following day the police officers came looking for me saying I raped her,” Mongongoregi continued, shaking his head at the memory.

It was at that point in his narrative that the cops came looking for him again, bundling the condemned man into the back of the van and whisking him away to prison.

Barring a successful appeal, he will next breathe free air in 2029.

Advertisement

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. ontsheketse Bareetseng

    February 5, 2020 at 4:40 pm

    tshwarang fela jalo baharena

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Elephant mortality in Okavango rises to 110, Anthrax ruled out

Published

on

Wildlife and National Parks department has ruled out Anthrax as a killer disease for elephants along some villages in the Okavango delta.

As of Friday last week, at least 110 dead elephants were discovered in areas of Seronga, Gunotsoga and Eretsha in the past three weeks and were suspected to have died from Anthrax.

However the Anthrax laboratory tests have come back negative, leaving the government departments searching for more answers. 

“Laboratory results have ruled out Anthrax and we are awaiting more results,” explained regional Wildlife coordinator in Maun, Dimakatso Ntshebe.

Ntshebe said his department through the help of veterinary department services are still conducting further tests to find out whether or not this mysterious disease is not a result of poisoning.

The disease according to Ntshebe causes the giant’s front legs to weaken and therefore the unwell animal walks in uncoordinated manner and ultimately drops to its death.

“We don’t know what could be the cause of this disease but we are working around the clock to find out and hopefully work on the cure,” added Ntshebe.

Some samples are to be sent to South Africa for further testing. “We could have taken other samples to the neighbouring Zimbabwe, but because of COVID-19 that brought everything to almost a standstill, we could not send them,” Ntshebe explained before adding that, “before coronavirus outbreak, Botswana and Zimbabwe were in talks and have entered into some agreements including exportation and importation of certain medications, but we have not yet concluded the matter regarding samples, that is why we have not been able to send samples to Zimbabwe.”

Continue Reading

News

SADC Executive Secretary disturbed by obstacles in movement of goods

Published

on

The Executive Secretary of SADC, Dr Stegomena Lawrence Tax, has cautioned member states that any lack of cooperation among then during the COVID19 era has potential to reverse the gains made in the last decades.

Addressing a virtual SADC Council of Ministers meeting this week, Lawrence Tax said that the regional ministers approved Guidelines on Harmonization and Facilitation of Movement of Essential Goods and Services across borders early April. 

She said that whilst the guidelines have played a critical role in facilitation of movement of essential goods, there are notable obstacles that have been noted by the Secretariat.

The obstacles include non-compliance/non recognition of regional legal frameworks; uncoordinated operations at the port of entry among border agencies; lack of harmonization and synchronization of policies and procedures among, and between member states; unilateral decisions outside agreed framework; as well as different approaches to deal with epidemiological challenges,” she said. 

She added that; “all these are resulting in increased cost of doing business, and negatively affecting the implementation of national and regional programmes”.

She advised that there is need to have measures, and coordinated approach in place since the region is in a post lockdown period since the transportation of non-essential goods and services will be resuming.

Lawrence Tax added that COVID19 is a global pandemic and that the SADC regional approach should expand to COMESA-EAC-SADC tripartite and eventually to other continental blocs.

“The Secretariat is already working with COMESA and EAC, specifically, in terms of harmonizing and synchronizing regulations and procedures for movement of goods and services under the Tripartite arrangement. We need to move in unison and avoid unilateral decisions, specifically with regards to cross border movement of goods and services,” she said.

According to the Executive Secretary, the regional office has already conducted a socio-economic impact analysis of COVID19 on the region and the results have shown that the pandemic will impact negatively across many socio and economic sectors.

“The decline in the global economy is projected to lead to a decline in commodity prices, increase in debt and significant contraction of the SADC economies in 2020. This will reverse the gains on industrial development and trade that the region has made in the last couple of years,” Lawrence Tax said.

On the flip side,  the region’s International Cooperating Partners have made pledges to mitigate the impact of COVID19 pandemic on its economy. 

“To date, the Secretariat has secured Euro 7.3 million from the German Government; Euro3.6million from European Union, Euro 190,000.00 under the GIZ/Africa Union Commission, whereas the African Development Bank (AfDB)  has considered a support UA 7 million. Engagements with the Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA) are also at an advanced stage,” the Executive Secretary said.

Continue Reading

Sponsored ads

ABSA COVID-19 Fund
Advertisement
Advertisement


Trending