Connect with us

Uncategorized

Maun plane crash was a mock exercise- Police

Published

on

Officer Commanding for Maun policing area, Peter Gochela, has allayed fears over a plane crash that caused panic at Maun International Airport yesterday saying it was a staged simulation exercise.

Scores of curious and terrified members of the public responded to a loud crash that was followed by blaring sirens and flashing lights, but were barred by security personnel from accessing the Maun International Airport.

“I saw some smoke earlier and I thought they were just burning tyres. I later realised that the situation was more serious when I saw people rushing to the scene and I decided to follow them,” said a Maun resident, Goleba Mambo, who also mistook the exercise for a serious accident.

Scenes of blood- which turned out to be fake, and dead occupants- that turned out to be dummies, formed part of the staged mock exercise comprising of aviation personnel, firefighters, emergency services, paramedics and the police, all coordinating and practicing how to respond to an incident at the airport.

The simulation exercise that temporarily brought business to a standstill is said to have been created and organised by Civil Aviation Authority of Botswana (CAAB) to check public response and alertness.

“It was an exercise and it had to look real. That is why all stakeholders had to take part,” Gochela explained.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Dj Trapp set to make her mark

Published

on

Dj Trapp set to make her mark

Local female DJ, Laone Moemisi Ledimo – known in the music industry as DJ Trapp – plans to give back to the community.

The Maun-born DJ, who turns 29 today (Friday), recently took to her social media page to announce her charitable intentions.

“This year I’m not really doing anything big but rather wanna give back as my way of saying thank you for the support. So I might need your help in identifying the rightful family or a charity home I can donate a few hundred Pulas to,” she posted.

DJ Trapp broke into the music industry last year, featuring at her home village during the Maun Easter Bash.

She has not looked back since, going on to play at Bahama Lounge, Chez Nicolas and Leisure Gardens.

She also starred at the Phikwe Female Invasion Session with DJ Missy.

Despite maintaining that she doesn’t have anything ‘big’ planned for 2020, the hard-working DJ is one of the few already getting gigs in the new year.

“My aim is to grow my brand, not only locally but internationally. I have started getting bookings for this year and will soon share my diary with the public so that they know which dates I am free. I promise not to disappoint,” she told Big Weekend, adding she is available for any booking regardless of Maun’s remoteness to the rest of the country.

To illustrate that point, she revealed some of her bookings are in Tutume.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Gaabo-Motho music festival promises fireworks

Published

on

Organisers of the annual Gaabo Motho Music Festival are relishing a bumper crowd in Moshupa village, as they put together final touches to what promises to be another successful Christmas Eve gig.

South African acts such as Black Motion, TNS and Busisiwa just to mention a few, are expected to headline the show with their impressive tunes that made waves throughout 2019 respectively.

Gaabo Motho Music Festival is in its 5th year running and it has shown tremendous improvement through the years as the organisers made it a point to inter-change artists in efforts to show variety.

In an interview with The Voice this week, Dladleng Entertainment Owner Oscar Thebe said the event has grown tremendously from humble beginnings. “I have seen a lot of growth in this event. When I started this initiative 5 years back it was really hard, people could not relate to the event but now they are part of it and they never disappoint in terms of attendance,” he said.

Thebe who is also known as Dlamini further said the festival is also beneficial to the residents of Moshupa. “On the day of the event, small retailers and big supermarkets make more profit as they get to sell to patrons who come for the event from across the country, hence improving the economy of the village,” Thebe explained.

Quizzed about the competition that he faces from other festive events, he said; “Big events such as Clap Your Hands, Born and Raised are staged at the central part of the country, and they are competing. However, on our side we are growing and I believe from this side (southern) we are the only ones, but we are not going to relax. We will keep on giving the crowd the best entertainment ever,” he said.

Thebe revealed that they have made few improvements to the venue (recreational park), “We have planted lawn so that revellers get to enjoy the feel of relaxing and enjoying the music without suffocating from the dust as it has always been the case over the years,” he said.

Meanwhile, local acts such as Vee, Charma Girl, Chrispin the Drama, Han C and others are expected to be amongst the performers who will electrify the event on the 24th of December 2019.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Police question students over Nata Snr School inferno

Published

on

Nata Police are in the process of questioning 67 boys who were accommodated in the second floor of Nata Senior School dormitory which partially burnt down on Sunday afternoon.

The hostel which housed 286 boys burnt down during lunch hour when most of the learners were away.

In an interview with The Voice, Nata Police Station Commander Superintendent Vincent Pitseetsile said it is still too early to know what could have started the fire.

“We have to interview all the 67 boys to find out who remained behind during the day, if indeed anybody remained behind. We have to know exactly what those who remained behind were doing, and then we’ll take it from there,” he said and added: “It’s a long process and will take time,” Pitseetsile said.

Meanwhile, Ministry of Basic Education (MOBE) has stated that all the 286 boys from the school are safe and have found alternative accommodation within the school premises.

In a statement released yesterday (Monday) MOBE revealed that 67 boys who were accommodated in the second floor where the fire started lost most of their belongings.

“We are working with Social and Community Development Office to provide clothing and other basic amenities to the boys so that teaching and learning is less affected,” reads part of the statement from MOBE.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement


Trending