Connect with us

News

Missing man found dead

Published

on

The search for a 28-year-old man who went missing a few weeks ago from Thito ward in Maun has come to a sad end with the discovery of his dead body on Sunday.

Maun Police Station Commander, Chenamo Orateng, confirmed that Keorapetse Gaotlhobogwe’s body was found hanging by a wire from a tree and he is suspected to have committed suicide. “We do not suspect foul play, a Pathologist has confirmed it,” said Orateng.

According to Orateng, Gaotlhobogwe, who was affectionately called ‘Dipass’ by his peers, had shown signs of stress prior to the incident.

He said investigations have revealed he had at some point told someone that he was being accused of rape.

However, the police superintendent said no such rape case had been reported to them.

A farmer just outside Shashe ward found his decomposing body. He was buried the same day in Maun.

Gaotlhobogwe left home for church – which is in his neighbourhood – on the 15th of March, 2020, and never returned. He was a security guard at Security Systems and used to sell mealies on the roadside to supplement his income.

AT A LOSS: Kananyo Lekau

During the search that started a week after his disappearance, Gaothobogwe’s jacket and shirt, which he had worn to church on the day he went missing, were found abandoned on the streets.

However a security officer at Tawana Primary School later told investigators that he had seen a man alight from a taxi in the wee hours of the morning, take off his clothes and disappear into the village streets.

Although suspicions are rife that Gaotlhobogwe could have panicked after being accused of rape and decided to end his life, his family does not buy the story. Instead, they strongly believet he was killed.

“The person who did this is very evil and knows how to cover his tracks,” explained the deceased’s sister, Kananyo Ponaka Lekau.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

UK-Botswana Covid-19 Response Committee assists disadvantaged families in Botswana

Published

on

The UK-Botswana Covid-19 Response Committee in collaboration with Botswana Community in the UK have taken heed to the President of Botswana’s appeal for assistance with the Covid-19 pandemic, and will donate food parcels in Botswana on June 5, 2020.

The Committee and partnering charity are made up of Batswana living in the United Kingdom and have joined hands to raise funds to buy food parcels for people living with disabilities in Bokaa and Dikgonnye villages.

The project is endorsed by the Botswana High Commissioner in the UK, H. E Rev Dr. John Seakgosing.

The handover ceremonies will be attended by the Village Leadership which includes the Kgosi, Councillor, Social Worker and VDC Chair amongst others.

The events are scheduled for 0900 hours on June 5, 2020 at the Bokaa Kgotla, and 1400 hours at Dikgonnye Kgotla on the same day.

Food parcels for at least 66 families that will be delivered to the two Kgatleng villages include; 12.5 kg maize meal, 10 kg rice, 5 kg sugar, 2 litre cooking oil, 700 ml tomato sauce, 750 g mayonnaise, 2kg washing powder and 410 g baked beans. “We found it fit to help Batswana back at home because we know that the government cannot win this mammoth task alone. I am proud to see that this project has once again united Batswana across the UK, and I trust that we will continue to assist Batswana where we can,’ explained Lawrence Mathala, the UK-Botswana Covid-19 Response Committee Chairman.  

Dr Boikanyo Phenyo,  the Botswana Community in the UK Chairperson also added on saying, ‘We are grateful for the Botswana High Commissioner’s endorsement and involvement in our project because it has given our project credibility and motivated more Batswana to participate in this initiative. Thank you to Batswana that have responded to our appeal and participated in this project, let’s keep the spirit of unity in the UK and continue to help our country grow and prosper. Gaabo Motho go thebepatshwa.’

Continue Reading

News

Block 8 nurse challenges Covid-19 test results

Published

on

A nurse who allegedly tested positive of Covid-19 during the emergency parliament session has given the Ministry of Health and Wellness up to next week Tuesday to respond to his legal demands as he believes that the test results were fake.

The victim, Morobi Dinao, a nurse at Block 8 Gaborone has made demands that the ministry give him signed results by the person who carried out the laboratory tests.

Dinao was diagnosed at a special parliament sitting in April, his supposed positive results leading to all MPs and those who attended the session to undergo a 14-day mandatory quarantine.

According to legal documents from Ndadi law firm, the 37-year-old nurse was admitted at Sir Ketumile Masire Teaching Hospital on the 9th of April after he was told he tested positive.

On the 13th he demanded to see his results but was sent from pillar to post and the hospital could not give him the results.

He kept on demanding his results and on the 19th of April he was shown the results through his glass door from outside by one Dr Feledi.

Dinao allegedly asked for a copy of the results but the Doctor said he would revert to him after consulting with his superiors.

He was given his results when he was discharged on the 24th of April.

There was no explanation of the results and the document was also not signed hence the suspicion that they were not authentic.

Some of the things that made him suspicious, he says, are that the specimen submission form that carries his results is markedly from the one he completed on the day of tests.

He says the form does not have the laboratory personnel signature portion yet the one he duly completed had it.

The demands are that MOH should give an account of the delay of initial results.

Dinao’s lawyer, Uyapo Ndadi, told The Voice Online that they are awaiting response to their client’s demands before they can take the next step.

“I do not understand how a doctor can seek for his superior’s permission to give a patient his own results. How do you get admitted without seeing your results and told we are following the instructions to admit you? A lot is questionable in the whole scenario,” said Ndadi.

Ndadi further said he’ll await his client’s instruction before considering any court action.

Continue Reading

Sponsored ads

ABSA COVID-19 Fund
Advertisement
Advertisement


Trending