Connect with us

News

Stepdad accused of defiling 12-year-old

Published

on

*Neighbours claim mum knew but kept quiet

A 51-year-old man from Leomboko ward in Tonota was arrested on Monday on suspicion of repeatedly defiling his young stepdaughter.

The 12-year-old girl’s mum was also taken into custody as it is suspected she knew what was happening but chose to keep quiet.

When The Voice visited the village on Tuesday, neighbours seemed unsurprised by the allegations, describing the mother-of-six as a drunkard and the stepdad as abusive.

“The mother and the stepfather are a problem. It is like they have been bewitched or something. That woman is always shouting and when she is drunk it is worse!” stated an agitated resident who requested his name be withheld.

“She has six children but she does not even care about them. I think she is not mentally fit. I am very sure she was aware of the incident and did not report because she does not care about her children. We are always listening to that woman – more especially when she comes from drinking, she will be walking speaking aloud or exchanging insults with the boyfriend,” continued the source, adding that four of the kids have left home and are staying with relatives.

According to another villager who lives near the troubled couple, the stepdad recently broke his arm after getting into a fight with one of his lover’s children.

“He has been nursing his injured arm. But to sleep with a 12-year-old is barbaric! Maybe he thought she is big enough since the young girl has a big body,” exclaimed the middle-aged woman, who was also highly critical of the mum.

“She should stay away from alcohol and start behaving like a mother. I think the stepfather took advantage that the woman is always drunk.”

Confirming the couple’s arrest, Tonota Station Commander Oteng Ngada told The Voice they were alerted to the incident by a concerned teacher at the girl’s school.

“The teacher noticed the child was not performing well. Upon questioning her, she opened up and revealed her mother’s boyfriend has been sexually abusing her.”

The top cop further said they fear the abuse has been going on for months.

“Preliminary investigations shows that the man has been defiling the young girl since November last year and that the mother was aware. The couple are expected to appear in court on Thursday [6 February],” closed Ngada.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Block 8 nurse challenges Covid-19 test results

Published

on

A nurse who allegedly tested positive of Covid-19 during the emergency parliament session has given the Ministry of Health and Wellness up to next week Tuesday to respond to his legal demands as he believes that the test results were fake.

The victim, Morobi Dinao, a nurse at Block 8 Gaborone has made demands that the ministry give him signed results by the person who carried out the laboratory tests.

Dinao was diagnosed at a special parliament sitting in April, his supposed positive results leading to all MPs and those who attended the session to undergo a 14-day mandatory quarantine.

According to legal documents from Ndadi law firm, the 37-year-old nurse was admitted at Sir Ketumile Masire Teaching Hospital on the 9th of April after he was told he tested positive.

On the 13th he demanded to see his results but was sent from pillar to post and the hospital could not give him the results.

He kept on demanding his results and on the 19th of April he was shown the results through his glass door from outside by one Dr Feledi.

Dinao allegedly asked for a copy of the results but the Doctor said he would revert to him after consulting with his superiors.

He was given his results when he was discharged on the 24th of April.

There was no explanation of the results and the document was also not signed hence the suspicion that they were not authentic.

Some of the things that made him suspicious, he says, are that the specimen submission form that carries his results is markedly from the one he completed on the day of tests.

He says the form does not have the laboratory personnel signature portion yet the one he duly completed had it.

The demands are that MOH should give an account of the delay of initial results.

Dinao’s lawyer, Uyapo Ndadi, told The Voice Online that they are awaiting response to their client’s demands before they can take the next step.

“I do not understand how a doctor can seek for his superior’s permission to give a patient his own results. How do you get admitted without seeing your results and told we are following the instructions to admit you? A lot is questionable in the whole scenario,” said Ndadi.

Ndadi further said he’ll await his client’s instruction before considering any court action.

Continue Reading

News

No water supply in Maun this weekend

*Main water pipe raptured at Nxaraga

*70% water supply shut down for maintenance work

Published

on

Most parts of Maun and surrounding areas are expected to experience a dry spell this weekend as the Water Utilities Corporation (WUC) cuts water supply for the next two days.

The department’s head of business, Thabo Ndadi, explained that seventy percent supply of water in and around Maun will be shut down to allow for maintenance of main water pipe to the area.

“This week we discovered that our main water pipe that brings in water from Kunyere boreholes has raptured and thus unable to adequately supply water,” explained Ndadi.

Ndadi further confirmed that they started noticing the leak last month but avoided tempering with it as it was during the lockdown and when the country had just reported first cases of the killer Covid-19 disease.

“Our hope and prayer was that the leak would not become so bad before the end of the COVID-19 state of emergency, but the water pressure has gone down and therefore we have to fix the problem and we cannot do it without temporarily cutting the flow,” added Ndadi.

Seventy percent of water supply in Maun is from boreholes along Kunyere river in Nxaraga area, while the other two boreholes in Shashe and Sexaxa make up the remaining thirty percent.

“This effectively means Maun will be running with a seventy percent water shortage and we are pleading with members of the community to use water with extra care,” Ndadi added.

In fact some areas will go dry for over 24 hours and WUC has advised people to store water for weekend use today because from tomorrow, taps will be completely dry. “Many other homes will get water way beyond the 24 hours, because after maintenance the water has to make a long journey to reach the taps, for some it will take 48 hours or so. In fact the whole recovery process takes seven days so, it may be practically impossible to complete the recovery within 24 hours.”

Meanwhile Thamalakane river has started to fill up, but the WUC water treatment plant in Borolong is yet to start pumping water from the river as they have to wait for at least a month for the water “to be of better quality to be processed for consumption. Right now the water volume is still low for such an exercise but the plant is ready to start operations. Already we have begun testing the water for quality and it not yet where we want it to be,” Ndadi said.

Continue Reading

Sponsored ads

ABSA COVID-19 Fund
Advertisement
Advertisement


Trending