Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Stillborn still missing after two months

DEVASTATED: Makumbi demanding answers

Parents plan to sue Princess Marina

Two months after her stillborn baby ‘disappeared’ from Princess Marina mortuary, a devastated young mum is taking the legal route in her quest to find her child’s remains.

23-year-old Gometsegang Makumbi and her boyfriend, Tsapalame Laba, claim they have been ‘sent from pillar to post’ by the hospital.

“We are still no closer to finding out what happened!” a frustrated Makumbi told The Voice this week.

Fed-up with the lack of progress, the couple have engaged a lawyer and intend to sue Princess Marina for negligence and hindering the burial of a dead body.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Makumbi was six months pregnant with her third child when she experienced severe abdominal pains, which landed her in Bokamoso Private Hospital on 26 August.

Upon doctor’s examination, she was told her placenta had detached from the baby and the child had choked on the resultant blood.

“I was referred to Marina the same day since I could not afford further medical attention at Bokamoso,” explained Makumbi.

Shortly after being admitted, she was advised to let doctor’s induce her labour, something she duly agreed to.

“I gave birth at around 8pm,” continued Makumbi, adding she asked the doctor not to show her the baby as she was afraid it would be too traumatic.

“I was told the baby was a boy, weighing 1.2kg and we should arrange for his burial. I called the baby’s father and family to arrange for burial but two days later when my family went to the hospital mortuary to collect the body it had gone missing! After several hours of waiting, the hospital management broke the sad news that the body was lost.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Struggling for closure, the Maun native is desperate for answers.

“I wonder how this could have happened because there is a registration which shows the body was received but there is no one who signed for the collection,” maintained Makumbi, who, along with Laba, reported the matter to the police on 28 September.

Fuelling her heartache further, she is adamant the hospital is taking the matter lightly.

“After I was released, the hospital management promised to provide counselling for me and the baby’s father. To date this has never happened,” revealed Makumbi, who is employed as a temporary teacher at Ledumadumane JSS in Mogoditshane.

She further blasted Princess Marina for failing to keep them updated on their investigations.

“They never bother to call, we always have to call them!”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Having already paid for both the coffin and grave, the tiny tomb remains at the mortuary, waiting for Makumbi’s child to be found.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health and Wellness Permanent Secretary, Kabelo Ebineng stressed they were doing all they could to find out what happened to the baby’s remains.

For his part, Central Police Station Commander, Mothusi Phadi confirmed his officers were investigating the matter.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You May Also Like


A 30-year-old woman reportedly died after being electrocuted by an electric cable which was lying on the ground from a fallen Botswana Power Corporation...


A young woman believed to be a victim of a predator dubbed the ‘Mokolodi Monster’ is today expected to come face-to-face with her suspected...


The Kazungula Bridge Marathon has welcomed more sponsors to their fold as the dates for the event approaches. With First National Bank Botswana (FNBB)...


Copyright © TheVoiceBW. (Since1993) made with ❤️ in Botswana.