Connect with us

News

Suspected arsonist denied bail

Published

on

An impassioned plea for bail from a Nswazi man accused of house breaking, stealing and arson, last week failed to move Masunga Magistrate, Amos Tumelo, who ruled that the young man be further remanded in jail.

Moemedi Olatetswe, 20, appeared before a Masunga Magistrates Court on Friday facing two counts of burglary and arson.

According to the Investigating Officer, Constable Chief Mothibedi, on May 06 around 2am, Olatetswe broke into Mmoloki Moja’s house and stole goods worth P4 150.

On the same day he went back to the two-roomed house and torched it, destroying all household goods worth P98 640. The tenant of the Village Development Committee house was away on a trip when the offence was committed. Olatetswe was arrested the next day.

Pleading with the court to remand the accused in custody, Mothibedi said if granted bail, Olatetswe might disregard the set conditions as he had already demonstrated that he can’t be trusted by attempting to flea from arrest.
“He locked himself inside his parents’ house and while we negotiated with him to let us in, he escaped through the back window,” said Mothibedi.

The Investigating Officer also expressed concern that before arrest the suspect went to the victims’ house twice on the same night.

“At this point we have no idea what his motive for burning the house was, and we don’t want to put the life of the victim in danger by releasing him back into the community,” said the investigating officer.

Mothibedi further highlighted that both burglary and arson were serious offences with burglary attracting a maximum of 14 -years in jail and life imprisonment for arson.

In response, a rather calm Olatetswe said he was the sole caretaker of his four-year-old daughter whose mother died in a road accident in 2018.

“I have no other place to stay but Nswazi,” he said and added: “I did escape through the window but I only ran to my grandmother’s place where you later found and arrested me,” Olatetswe said as he pleaded for his release.

“The first time I fled, I ran to my mother’s house. I’ve nowhere else to run,” he said. The suspect further claimed that he only fled out of fear and never meant to burn the house down.

“I was smoking a cigarette and I suspect I did not put out the stub, which caused the fire,” he said.

However his pleas fell on deaf ears as Magistrate Tumelo denied him bail and ordered that he be remanded until the lifting of the State of Public Emergency.

The Magistrate further ordered that Olatetswe be tested for Covid-19 before being sent back to prison.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Dr Gure’s anti climax

Published

on

Dr Gure's anti climax

Ministry of Health silences sex doctor

Celebrity Medical Doctor, Thusang Gure who has been dishing out explicit sex advice on social media has been cautioned to stop.

The young Doctor with more than 200 000 followers on Facebook had become a darling of many women who religiously followed his sex lessons.

Although he started his sex talk during a late night show at one of the radio stations, Gure shot to social media fame when he started posting videos about sex on Facebook.

However, the excitement that came with his talks was last week brought to a screeching halt by the Ministry of Health and Wellness, leaving thousands of his fans and followers high and dry.

Information gathered by this publication has indicated that the Ministry was concerned that Dr Gure was masquerading as a sexologist (a specialist in sexual matters) when he was a General Practitioner.

According to the source, Gure who runs Medexo Private Clinic is a General Practitioner but his talks gave people an impression that he was a specialist by focusing on a specific area of medicine, especially in public.

“What he was doing was clearly advertising and medical practitioners are not allowed to do that. The other problem is that he googles most of the information he passes on to unsuspecting followers as expert advice,” the source stated

Asked why they summoned Dr Gure to the ministry, Chief Medical officer, Goabaone Rainer Mosimanegape said, “We as the regulator called him for a meeting and asked him to work hand in hand with us. We want to guide him so that he doesn’t look like he is encouraging some things which are out of line.”

Mosimanegape said that the ministry’s meeting with Dr Gure shouldn’t be viewed as a gag on Gure as he is a reasonable young man who was likely to take advice to stay in his lane.

“We didn’t summon him, we simply called him for a meeting which can help him going forward,” Mosimanegape emphasized.

Meanwhile, Dr Gure denied having any knowledge of the meeting.

“I am unaware of any such issues involving myself and if my name is used in any of your publications without factual basis then I reserve my legal rights,” he said in his response when asked to confirm if indeed he was warned to stop posting salacious sex advice.

Continue Reading

News

Police question Councillor in poaching probe

Published

on

Umbrella for Democratic Change’s Councillor for Matlapana ward in Maun, Kobamelo Baikgodise, is among five men who have been questioned by Maun police over a buffalo poaching incident that reportedly took place in Khwai, about three weeks ago.

Baikgodise has however denied the arrest but said rather that he was summoned to the police station where he was questioned and wrote a statement over the incident which took place during the same weekend when he was in Khwai.

“As you may be well aware that I am friends with the Council Chairman, I had paid him a visit in Khwai during the weekend of the alleged poaching,” Baikgodise explained in a brief interview this week.

The Councillor stated that he had in fact taken the Council Chairman- Kebareeditse Ntsogotlho’s building material to Khwai and only went to the alleged poaching scene after Ntsogotlho’s injury.

“I was not at the scene, I was only alerted of his injury and that is when I went to the scene. I could not even talk to him because it was a bloody scene and he was in serious pain, so I did not even know what exactly happened that led to his injury,” Baikgodise explained.

The alleged poaching incident is still being investigated by the police who took the matter up following social media reports that the North West District Council Chairman, was attacked and injured by the buffalo early this month, during the extreme social distancing and movement lockdown.

Currently Ntsogotlho is hospitalised at Nyangabwe Referal Hospital where he is nursing thigh injuries.

Last week Ntsogotlho was hopeful that he would be released from hospital this week.

When shedding light on the matter, District No.5 police Commanding Officer, Peter Gochela, had stated that they have arrested and questioned some suspects on the matter but could not divulge names as they have not yet been charged.

Continue Reading

Sponsored ads

ABSA COVID-19 Fund
Advertisement
Advertisement


Trending