Connect with us

Sports

The rise of Sean Dekop

Published

on

Table Tennis teen savours national recognition

At the age of 18, Sean Dekop is already ranked amongst the top table tennis players in the country.

In an interview with Voice Sport this week, the teenager revealed he was a relatively new convert to the sport with his passion for table tennis starting in 2017 at junior school.

“Originally it started off as a past-time, but then I fell in love with the sport. I then focused on crafting my skill with hope that one day I’d be one of the best in the country.”

The youngster said as his reputation grew he became aware of the competition he was up against to be considered amongst the country’s elite.

“I quickly became aware of the likes of the seasoned Thobo Mahlatsi and Tshenolo Mooketsi who’re both exceptional players,” he said.

The Charles Hill native told Voice Sport that his biggest achievement thus far was making the national team, and doing it in style by defeating the massively talented Mooketsi.

“After playing for junior teams for a very long time, I’m convinced graduation to the senior team will enhance my international status,” he said.

Quizzed about the challenges he faces as a youngster, he said, “At the moment, my biggest challenge is balancing sport and school. I’ve to sit for the Botswana General Certificate of Secondary Education (BGCSE) Examinations this year, and have to focus on my studies,” said Dekop.

He, however, further told Voice Sport he will work hard to strike the balance and not let his school work hinder his progress in the sport and vice versa.

With the country currently in lockdown, Dekop is using the time to work on his fitness.

“I’m training well. I do some sit-ups, push-ups and footwork drills every morning as soon as I wake up.”

Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

BTA to submit post COVID-19 roadmap

Published

on

BTA to submit post COVID-19 roadmap

Botswana Tennis Association (BTA) President Oaitse Thipe has revealed to Voice Sport their intention to resume their calendar of events in an interview on Wednesday.

The president said they are in the process of submitting names for their skeletal staff permits with the sole aim of completing their sporting calendar.

Thipe told Voice Sport that once they shift their gears into motion, they’ll first turn their attention to local tournaments such as Gaborone Club Junior Open and Orapa Open.

“We’ll then move to international tournaments which we anticipate to host this coming October,” he said.

“In addition, the Advanced Course International Tennis Federation (ITF) Level 2 is also in the cards for the end of August,” said Thipe.

The BTA President who came into office last year September said one of their key targets is to increase participation in wheelchair and beach tennis.

“We are expecting a handful of donations such as wheelchairs, rackets and all the necessary beach tennis equipment from ITF this coming June, and that is surely aligned to our mandate,” explained Thipe, further stating that despite some success their nine months in office has not been smooth sailing.

“We’ve successfully hosted a number of courses in which over 16 officials have graduated. We also witnessed the remarkable rise of one of our young talents Denzel (Seetso) flexing his muscle in the continent and becoming the highest ranked African player,” he said proudly.

The president however lamented their lack of money which has hampered their intention to increase coaches across the country, a key component to having more players plying their trade in elite competitions across Europe and the United States of America.

Continue Reading

Sports

Daggers drawn for BFA top post

Published

on

Daggers drawn for BFA top post

Uncertainty over the looming Botswana Football Association (BFA) elective congress was finally cleared this week when the Electoral Committee announced 8th of August as a date for the d-day.

The BFA elections were left in limbo since the outbreak of Covid-19 and the subsequent suspension of all football matters.

Briefing the media this week, board chairperson Moemedi Leina said since the elections will be held in the middle of a State of Emergency the elections board will be guided by the Covid 19 Task Force.

He said citizens aged between 30 and 75 years and without any criminal record can begin submitting their names for possible election starting on the 1st to the 12th of June.

Battle for the BFA’s top post promises to be a bare knuckled contest, with four prominent figures already looking set to throw their names into the hat.

Incumbent, Maclean Letshwiti will face stiff competition from former BFA president Tebogo Sebego, politician Boyce Sebetela and former BFA Chief Executive Officer Ookeditse Malesu.

The four potential candidates are already canvasing for votes across regions, and attempting to sway delegates to their sides.

While few have publicly stated their intention to stand for elections, Francistown Regional Football Association Chairperson Maokaneng Bontshetse has long declared his candidature for the Vice President 2 position.

Bontshetse, a shrewd sports administrator is one of the longest serving football servants in the country.

He prides himself as the founder of the Zebras Supporters Club.

Letina has however advised potential candidates that there are certain requirements they must meet in order to be eligible.

He said candidates should be active in football structures and not be insolvent.

“We’re also not going to allow people from other sports codes. The committee will vet from June 22-29 and publish candidates’ names on June 30,” he said.

Letina further said they will then allow for appeals or queries for the next two weeks before publishing the final list on 23rd July.

“During the appeals period, we’ll simultaneously compile and prepare a voters roll. This year there will be no elections in the regions after the General Assembly resolved that regional committees will run for four years, which means their terms ends in 2022,” said Letina.

Meanwhile the association Chief Executive Officer Mfolo Mfolo said their medical team is working round the clock to prepare for the return of football action.

Last week Ministry of Sports approved the resumption of football activities operations for the premier league and first division games from the 1st of June.

Mfolo said the medical team is to submit the final guidelines to the BFA National Executive Committee so that teams can start competitive football.

He said there are certain Covid-19 regulations they need to adhere to.

The league is left with 13 games to complete the season.

Continue Reading

Sponsored ads

ABSA COVID-19 Fund
Advertisement
Advertisement


Trending