A Molepolole family are mourning the death of their two-year-old son who started vomiting and died shortly after eating cornflakes bought for him by his father.
Although the details of exactly what transpired on Thursday 19 August remain unclear, rumours are rife that the toddler may have been poisoned.
The little boy was rushed to the hospital but later passed away, with his family only reporting the matter to the police three days after his death.
It seems the father, 39, bought foodstuff for his son, including fruits, milk and cornflakes.
Now separated from his baby mama, the man left the food with the boy’s mother, dropping it off at the 32-year-old’s home in Lesetlheng ward.
According to relatives, the mum gave the baby some of the food and he ate it with no complications.
The trouble started the next day when, left under the supervision of his step-father, the baby ate the cornflakes and became critically ill shortly after.
In a brief interview with The Voice, Molepolole Assistant Superintendent, Uyapo Koketso confirmed being aware of the matter.
“After realising that the little boy was not fit, his parents rushed him to the hospital where he was later confirmed dead. Post-mortem has been conducted and we continue with our investigations,” explained the top cop, cautiously adding it was too early to speculate whether foul play was involved or not.
As for why the family did not report the matter earlier, Koketso responded, “We asked them the same question but did not get a proper answer.
“As the police, we want everyone to be free to report to us when the incident is still fresh, that will also enable us to carry investigations when there is still enough evidence.”
The toddler was laid to rest last Saturday.
Meanwhile, according to a source close to the scene, fingers of blame are reportedly being pointed within the family.
“The boy’s mother is allegedly accusing the biological father of poisoning the cornflakes while the biological father suspects the boy’s step-father might have poisoned the food to end the boy’s life as he was sick and tired of the other man coming round to his house,” claimed the family insider.
Efforts to get an official comment from either parent proved unsuccessful before The Voice’s Wednesday night deadline.